Sunday, July 22, 2012

Precious Metal

   For sometime I've been wanting to go back to Guffey, CO to photograph the numerous old cars and trucks sitting around. As some of you may know old cars and trucks are a favorite of mine to photograph. But before I started photographing, the family and I stopped at a small coffee shop called Rita's and had a small lunch. Great little place that has good sandwiches. there was also some local art hanging on the walls and shelves. After lunch we headed out and I noticed a bunch of No Trespassing signs painted all over the place. so we loaded up in the car and drove over to the Guffey Garage to get permission from the man who owned all the old cars and trucks, and the one who posted the No Trespassing signs. I know who the man was because I used to live northwest of Guffey in the 90's. His name is Bill. When I asked Bill for permission he thanked me for asking him. Bill told me that most people will go over to the vehicles and open them up without asking and sometime causing parts to come off. After getting Permission off we went.

   I started off with taking a few photos of two cars a 1950 Buick Super Eight and a 1948 Studebaker Champion Deluxe. When I took these photos I was lying on the ground. I really like this perspective when I photograph vehicles.


   The next one I went on to photograph was a 1954 International dump truck. When I was trying to photograph this truck I had a problem, I was not able to get the entire truck in the picture. The truck was between another truck and a truck cab. There was also some seat frames in front of the truck. I went ahead and took a few shots. When I got the photo processed I pick out the better of what I took and this is what I came up with. It came out better than I thought it would. The green on this truck is really unusual but it make it stand out.


   I was on to my next vehicle and that was a 1940's Chevrolet truck. Once again I was lying on the ground to take my photographs. I was able to photograph the entire truck, but the one below is the one I liked best. I like how the grass is growing between the bumper and the truck. The front tire is almost completely hidden from the grass. The grill looks to be in relatively in pretty good shape still. The headlight and windshield aren't broken which is amazing.The boards on  the back of the truck are in pretty bad shape.


There were several vehicles here, but the last one I want to share with you is a 1950's Chevrolet panel truck. This truck just stands out to me and what makes it stand out was the sun visor over the windshield. The lettering on the side reads C & G FOOD STORES. Once again  was on the ground shooting at an upward angle. I wasn't as close to this truck as the others when I was taking the photograph. I do like the clouds in the background in this picture. The body on this truck had some minor dents, but what do to expect from a vehicle that's 60 years old.


I had a great time photographing these old vehicles here in Guffey. To see the rest of my photos go to my Facebook page. These old cars and trucks are a favorite for me to photograph. I am always on the lookout  for these old abandoned cars and trucks, whether they are in a field, a barn, a junkyard or someones yard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment